Call for nominations – 2019 UNESCO-Greece Melina Mercouri International Prize for the Safeguarding and Management of Cultural Landscapes
Overview and Background of the Prize
- The UNESCO-Greece Melina Mercouri International Prize for the Safeguarding and Management of Cultural Landscapes was created in 1995 to reward outstanding examples of action to safeguard and enhance the world’s cultural landscapes, a category of World Heritage.
- The Prize, generously supported by the Greek Government, bears the name of Melina Mercouri, former Minister of Culture of Greece and a strong advocate of integrated conservation.
- The US $30,000 Prize is awarded every two years to one laureate.
- The prize has been awarded six times between 1995 and 2011.
- The next Prize will be awarded in Autumn 2019, in connection with the 40th Session of the UNESCO General Conference.
The nomination process takes place online through the UNESCO website. The online nominations should be received by UNESCO in English or French by 30 April 2019 at the latest (midnight Paris time, UTC+1).
For more information see http://whc.unesco.org/en/culturallandscapesprize/